More About Me

Friday, May 10, 2013

Sloppy Joes & a Delicious and Very Colorful Black Bean Salad

Last night we had sloppy joes for dinner and I wanted to make a healthy, low in calories side to accompanied them. Browsing on Pinterest I found this salad that seem very good and hardy so I bought all the ingredients to make it. I altered some of the ingredients because it was going to be too strong for our taste.
  
This are the ingredients I used: Lemon juice, olive oil, sugar, garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt. In the plate I have corn, red pepper, cilantro and black beans; when is almost time to eat it I'm going to add the avocado.

Here is a close-up picture of the ingredients on the plate before mixing them. Next time I will use less cilantro because my husband thought it was a little bit too strong. 
 Now here is the original recipe for the salad. I used less ingredients because it was just my hubby and I eating dinner together last night.



Black Bean Salad with Corn, Red Peppers, Avocado and Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette

Ingredients


2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3 ears fresh cooked corn, kernels cut off the cob (I used a can of corn)
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced shallots, from one medium shallot
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, best quality such as Colavita
1 teaspoon lime zest (be sure to zest limes before juicing them)
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
2 Hass avocados, chopped

Instructions

Combine all ingredients except for avocados in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. Right before serving, add avocados and mix gently, being careful not to mash avocados. Garnish with a more chopped cilantro if desired. Serve at room temperature.


This is my sloppy joe and my very colorful and yummy salad!!! My husband mixed his salad with the sloppy joe so the flavor wouldn't be so strong and after that he was fine with it. 

Enjoy your day!!!! Happy Friday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment