More About Me

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sausage Cabbage Skillet

I had bought a cabbage but didn't really know what to make with it other than coleslaw. We have been trying really hard to eat more vegetables with our meals (I think I've said that many times, but oh well!!!) and this was a good opportunity to make a good meal with it.

I started searching for the perfect recipe, one that both of us will enjoy. My husband is not a fan of sausage but in this case he loved this because I didn't put a lot in it. 

This is what I found on my search for the perfect recipe.

Ingredients

1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 large head cabbage (4 pounds), coarsely chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
3 to 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed

Directions

In a Dutch oven, brown the sausage in 2 tablespoons butter; remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute cabbage and onions in remaining butter until onions are tender.
In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, sugar and paprika; pour over cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes and reserved sausage. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.


I for sure added a couple more things to this recipe and made it my own. I didn't use sugar, simply didn't see the need for it. I added pepperoni and instead of 3 cans of tomato sauce I used real tomatoes and 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. I cooked the potatoes separate and mixed them with the cabbage after the were cooked. But I want to remind you that you can adjust the amounts just like I did, because I didn't want to make this for 10 people when we're only 2.  It came out really good!!! 

Enjoy and happy cooking!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment